The legs sprayed with black undercoat. You can see that we are still missing the upper armour, but we have added lots of cables to make the legs look busier and more interesting.
The legs have quite a wide stance to make the model stable – we don’t really want it falling over on a gaming board and wiping out a lot of models.
The bundles of wires – from a heavy duty copper cable.
These wires run through the ankle and knee joints as these then give clear and well defined routing points that have some logic.
You can also see the grooves that were cut into the side plates of the armour.
This image now shows the upper leg armour in place.
The upper armour plates were fixed to the legs using 6mm mdf spacers.
The next stage is the upper body. We started with a simple box that formed the torso and area behind the head.
Onto this box we glued a roughly hexagonal piece of armour with grooves cut into it.
A 6mm thick piece of mdf forms the shoulders and under this we glued much thicker pieces of mdf to which the upper arms are pivoted.
There is a lot of cutting and fitting of pieces as we went – not too much of a plan as we really measured, sketched, bandsawed the pieces out of 3mm thick mdf and glued in place using PVA wood glue.
At this point the arms were free to move as this made it easier to work with and get the pose correct before fixing. The shoulder armour plating is in place. In the background you can make out the upper plate with the area jutting out above the head.
The upper guns were added. For these we used a piece of 1 inch dowel cut down the length to form two semi-circular pieces.
The gun barrels were made from 8mm diameter aluminium tubing.
The lower arms have now been added and are jointed to allow some movement – we will fix these once we know what the guns look like and the angle they should be held at.
The exhaust stack was a piece of 8mm aluminium tube with some aluminium mexh over the top as a protective layer.
The model is now roughly 0.65m tall and weighs around 3kg.