I was wondering what some of the major highlights would be in the timeline of model engineering….so I thought I would do some digging and list them out:
- 1880’s Bing’s first model trains hit the market.
- 1891 Märklin formalized several standards for track gauges.
- 1898 Model Engineer magazine first published by Percival Marshall.
- 1898 Bassett-Lowke started as a mail-order business.
- 1906 Stuart Turner Ltd was incorporated.
- 1924 first “LBSC” (Curly Lawrence) article serialised in Model Engineer
- 1925 Edgar T Westbury first contributes to the pages of Model Engineer
- 1934 Cecil Moore founded the Myford Engineering Company
- 1936 Shigeo Ogawa set up his original machine-shop, making model steam engines. In the same year, at the suggestion of an American buyer, Paul Houghton, the 1.6 cc O.S. Type-1 miniature gasoline engine was constructed.
- 1937 Mamod was founded in Birmingham by Geoffrey Malins.
- 1976 The OS FS60 becomes the first volume produced model aero four-stroke.
- 1979 Engineering in Miniature magazine first published
- 1990 Model Engineers’ Workshop came onto the newsagents shelves for the first time
I know that I’ve missed lots of notable events and you will be screaming at the ipad and so drop me a line or comment on this page.