For a while I’ve been wondering what you need in a basic starting toolbox:
- Drill – a small electric drill is probably best, but a hand drill would be good as well
- Drill bits – a set of 1 to 10mm twist drill bits and a 6mm masonry bit
- Knife – I think we all need a Stanley knife: robust but simple at the same time.
- Swann-Morton Scalpel – if you’re more into fine model making
- Level – a basic spirit level so that you get the shelves straight
- Pliers – I bought and reviewed some Draper general purpose pliers – a robust starter.
- Ruler – a 12″ or 300mm steel ruler is best as it can be used as a straight edge to cut up to or as a measuring device
- Screwdrivers – flat and cross-bit
- Spanner – to start with an adjustable spanner will cover the basics
- Square – a general purpose woodworking square
I know I’ve missed stuff so please do send me a note of adds/deletes and specific makes of tool that are best.