A basic list of all of the different types of engines:
- Compressed Air Engine – essentially a steam engine, but a engine that operates from a tank or supply of compressed air.
- Diesel Engine – an internal-combustion engine in which the fuel is injected into the cylinder near the end of the compression stroke and is ignited by the heat of the compressed air in the cylinder.
- Gas Turbine – a turbine driven by the expansion of burning fuel.
- Petrol Engine – an internal-combustion engine in which the fuel is petrol that is drawn or injected into the cylinder along with air and ignited with an electric spark. There are a number of different configurations of internal combustion engines.
- Steam Engine – an engine that uses steam to produce useful work.
- Steam Turbine – a turbine driven by steam expansion through the blades of the turbine.
- Stirling Engine – an external combustion engine.