Just a quick share as the T-nuts and clamps that come with the Sain Smart 3018-Pro are ok and functional, but only just. First though, notice that I’ve turned the height adjusting bolt upside-down. My basic idea was to use the head of the countersunk bolt to increase the area and so reduce the damage to the table.
These clamps though don’t have T-nuts as they are just using the hexagon head of an M6 bolt. My issue is the head will over time damage the underside of the grooves and make placement more difficult. Also, the heads don’t sit that well on the underside of the groove.
My thought is to make 4 T-nuts with M6 threads and maybe some nice wing nuts.
I didn’t have any 14mm square material in steel or brass in the box and so had to go for mild steel 3/4 inch round bar.
Setup in the bottom of the machine vice and machining 2.25mm down from each surface.
I use an engineers square to set the first machined face at right angles to the table and then machine the next face.
Hence I soon get to a square bar.
After a bit more machining and tapping I end up with six T-nuts.
The T-nuts are 14.4mm across, the square nut is 6mm high and has an 8mm diameter boss protruding 2mm from the top. The nut is threaded 6x1mm. They are threaded the whole way through the nut.
The nuts fit into the extrusion with a small amount of play.
The final task was to chemically blacken the T-nuts. This can make them go slightly rusty and so I just dry them thoroughly and then apply a small amount of furniture wax.
The final image shows the Sain Smart T-nuts in use.